Thursday, June 19, 2008

Netflix Eliminating Profiles

When checking my email this morning I saw the following message from Netflix:

We wanted to let you know we will be eliminating Profiles, the feature that allowed you to set up separate DVD Queues under one account, effective September 1, 2008.

Each additional Profile Queue will be unavailable after September 1, 2008. Before then, we recommend you consolidate any of your Profile Queues to your main account Queue or print them out.

While it may be disappointing to see Profiles go away, this change will help us continue to improve the Netflix website for all our customers.

If you have any questions, please go to http://www.netflix.com/Help?p_faqid=3962 or call us anytime at 1 (888) 638-3549. We apologize for any inconvenience.

- The Netflix Team


I’ve been considering adding another dvd to our plan along with a new profile for my daughter. I guess Netflix has made that decision for me. They better have some kind of queue management system ready to go the moment they eliminate the profiles because otherwise I don’t see an easy solution for my wife and I using the same account.

Two people rating movies on the same profile sounds like a great way to destroy the effectiveness of Netflix’s recommendations system.

No comments: